Learn about how a Princeton graduate, using sustainable thinking, created a company focused on reducing waste of earth’s resources by using materials normally trashed to make new products. Watch the following 5 videos on terra cycle and take notes as you do so. If clicking on the URL does not work for you, you may need to copy the URL and paste it into your browser in order to view the video. When you are finished viewing the videos visit the website http://www.terracycle.net for more information and then answer the questions below.
1) What is garbage? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjGQRTTp-4&NR=1
2) TerraCycle products and upcycling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmh-MRLc2zo
3) TerraCycle worm poop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWdINEjAXBQ
4) What is TerraCycle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEND9KG67PM
5) TerraCycle – Get started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prTnuCMpNy4
In the submission box answer each of the following questions. Write the question number ONLY followed by your answer. Give thoughtful responses in complete sentences, with correct grammar and spelling. One word answers and short phrases will cause you to lose points. Always write as if you are writing to someone who knows nothing of the subject. Also please attach a dummy, blank file because D2L requires that you attach a file.
1. Is there any “waste” in nature? Discuss in detail what happens to “garbage/waste” in nature.
2. Explain with appropriate examples why upcycling is better than recycling?
3. Discuss how Terracycle addresses the social, economic, and environmental aspects of sustainability?
4. Identify and describe the first product Terracycle marketed and explain its sustainable features.
5. Name and describe three additional examples of products Terracycle creates from “trash”.