For the second part of your journal entry this week, review and think about the questions below. Then select two or more from each of the sections to respond to:
The Context of Gender and Sexual Orientation
- How has being a man or a woman influenced my life? How has it limited me? Sustained me? Opened up possibilities?
- If I had been a man instead of a woman or vice versa, how would my life have been different?
- What assumptions do I make about other people based on their gender?
- What assumptions do I make about individuals whose sexual orientation is different from mine?
- As you walk around your community and watch television, imagine that you are gay, lesbian, or transgendered, and ask yourself the following questions: Where and when do I feel safe? Threatened?