Assignment 2: Academic Essay
The textbook for this unit is: Geldard, K., Geldard, D., & Yin Foo, R. (2013). Counselling children: A practical introduction (4th ed.). London, England: Sage.
In-text referencing and reference list follows APA referencing style (6th ed) to be used.
Remember that whenever you make an assertion of fact you must provide an in text citation so the reader can find the source and assess the credibility of the fact cited.
This assignment enables students to firstly locate, analyse and compare two interventions for school bullying, and secondly to reflect on how their own history may influence their professional work with the young person.
Part A: Students will examine the issue of school bullying, a common presenting issue faced by young people. In this assignment, students will explore face-to-face bullying. Describe and apply two different therapeutic approaches that would be appropriate for working with this issue. Compare the different approaches in terms of interventions, the role of the young person/client and likely outcomes, using references from this unit.
Part B: Students are to analyse and reflect on how their own history may influence their countertransference, maintenance of professional boundaries and approach to counselling the young person.
Your Academic Essay will need to include:
* ? an introduction ?
* ? a summary that frames the issue of bullying ?
* ? identification of one therapeutic approach and how it would be applied to the bullying issue ?
* ? identification of a second therapeutic approach and how it would be applied to the bullying issue ?
* ? a comparison of the two approaches in terms of their interventions, ?
* ? the role of the young person, and the likely outcomes of the counselling ?
* ? a self-reflective analysis of the personal historical issues or memories that could influence the counselling process (countertransference etc.) ?
* ? a conclusion ?
Extra notes –
As I live and work in remote aboriginal communities I would really like this assignment to have a focus on some of Aboriginal issues which I see everyday.
– Low socio economical society (social status amounts peers is imperative to aboriginal youth)
– Low educational outcomes or disengaged from school
– Drug and alcohol abuse
– High rates or youth justice involvement
One response to conflict I see as successful is the use of restorative practices. It is culturally appropriate and can be used in many areas across the entire community. – not sure if it fits within this essay though.
I am happy to communicate with the writer about this as needed.
Currently 1 writers are viewing this order